Things To Do
High Falls is a small, historic village in the Hudson Valley within a strong artistic community. Despite its size, there are more places to visit and things to do than one could possibly fit into any weekend. At least a half dozen restaurants are within walking distance from The Arbor. Unique gift and antique shops, as well as the D&H Canal Museum and a weekend flea market also await you in the village.
If you want to go out and get moving, the Mohonk Mountain House, a Historic National Landmark, is four miles from our door and offers hiking, golf, horseback riding, garden tours, snow-shoeing, and ice skating. The Minnewaska State Park, in the heart of the Shawangunks, is a fifteen minute ride and offers swimming, picnicking, biking and hiking.
If you prefer a restful weekend, The Arbor is the perfect setting for reading, board games, doing puzzles, getting a massage, snuggling with Bootsey (our very friendly resident cat), taking a leisurely walk, and sipping afternoon tea on the porch while watching the sun set.
The Arbor is the ideal location for small outdoor weddings and events. We will help plan all aspects including superb catering.
Shopping & Antiquing:
- Bluecashew Kitchen Pharmacy high-end kitchen equipment and tabletop
- High Falls Mercantile antique, high-end reproductions, textiles for the home
- Linger contemporary furnishings, bed and bath
- The Green Cottage collectibles, flowers, garden shop
- The Barking Dog antiques
- Cathouse Antiques 50s antiques
Things to do:
- The D&H Canal Museum
- Mohonk Mountain House and Preserve for long peaceful walks or challenging hikes
- Huguenot historic stone house village (New Paltz)
- West Hurley historic stone house village
- Ashokan Reservoir (New Yorks largest) where you can enjoy peaceful walks while sightseeing the mountains
We are within walking distance of restaurants and will be happy to make reservations for you.
- The Northern Spy – contemporary American fare
- The Depuy Canal House – nouvelle cuisine
- Chefs on Fire – brick oven pizza and pastas
- The New York Store – pastries, coffee, tea
- The Eggs Nest – eclectic menu
- High Falls Café – contemporary American fare
- Rock Cliff Café – bar, some food
- The French Corner – classic French
Extras (arrangements must be made in advance):
- Yoga and massage in the comfort of your room is available upon request.
- Painting lessons with renowned Hudson Valley artist, Fran Sutherland, available upon request. For more information, please visit fransutherland.com.
- Cooking workshops with award-winning cookbook author and chef, Corinne Trang, available for parties of 8. For more information, please visit corinnetrang.com.